Flipp’s Jukebox Jams
- May 1, 2020
For those of you who haven’t had the chance to hang out at our office, let us tell you a little bit about the “jukebox”:
Sadly the gem in the picture above no longer works, but it was the collaborative listening atmosphere that machines like this facilitated which inspired us to create our own 21st Century alternative.
For over a decade a virtual jukebox has been a part of Flipp culture allowing team members to request, ‘like’ or gong any song that plays at the office. Conceived, programmed and crafted in-house, the Flipp jukebox has evolved over the years from MP3’s to RDIO to Spotify but the concept lives on and democracy rules.
We have had some great days listening to the jukebox, and some could say that music has brought us together over the years. From nonstop 70’s themed days to playlists celebrating legalization and International Women’s Day, to O.B. Buchana teaching us about the booty scoot, the jukebox has been an essential part of our office life.
Here are some fun facts about Flipp’s beloved jukebox:
– We currently have 10,806 songs in the jukebox that have been collected since the switch to spotify 5 years ago
– Through the magic of text to speech, the jukebox was programmed to speak when given a sentence to say. This was originally intended to make announcements in the office but ended up just being the ideal tool to play pranks on people.
– For every 1,000th song added, the jukebox triggers a special celebration sound effect
– “1979” by the Smashing Pumpkins was the number one song on the jukebox for many years, until we reprogrammed the song randomization to intentionally play the top songs less often in order to give other songs a chance at being heard more
– In 2009, Greg queued up so much Weird Al that it took over the system causing every third or fourth song to be Weird Al
– Over a decade later, Greg has still never lived down the above fact
Though we are fortunate to be able to WFH during this uncertain time, *some of us* are dearly missing listening to the jukebox while we work. With that in mind, we decided to create a “fire” playlist to share, composed of the songs that we would have requested if we were in the office today.
Check out the playlist HERE!
This playlist will give you an inside look at the wide range of musical tastes in our office, and hopefully, you’ll learn about a new song or two! We’re looking forward to the day that we can enjoy these tunes together again. In the meantime, we hope everyone is staying healthy, positive and safe!
We are a full-service advertising, branding and digital design agency that creates identities, products and online experiences that mean something. Get in touch with us! We'd love to help you reach new customers, strengthen the messaging behind your brand and tell your story across multiple channels in an engaging way.